Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Today I Remember, Tomorrow We Celebrate


Today is the day one year ago Julia was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes.  We have come such a long way but I can't help looking back on that day.
This picture was taken the day before diagnosis on my mom's cell phone.  

I have already written the story of her diagnosis but lately I keep thinking of one doctor we met.  It was in the E.R. and it was brief and I have only recently come to fully understand that meeting.  She was so grave in the way she spoke and looked so worried and was explaining some of the tests that were being run and that we would know more when the results were in.  She was worried about the how acidic her blood was and whether or not there was cerebral edema.  The next time we saw her the results were in and she looked so much more relieved.  She explained that the acidity in Julia's blood was not as high as she expected and that her treatment would be much easier.

Like I have said before, I did not understand the seriousness of the situation.  In my mind, the pediatrician told us it was diabetes and so we are at the hospital and they would show us how to get her healthy.  I assumed that there was nothing worse that could happen than the diabetes diagnosis.  We were very lucky.  I just recently read about a family who was not so lucky.  You can do so here if you choose.  

Please read the signs and symptoms of type 1 diabetes.  If you or someone you know is exhibiting symptoms please do not hesitate in getting them medical attention.

 
Warning signs of T1D (these may occur suddenly):
  • Extreme thirst
  • Frequent urination
  • Sudden vision changes
  • Sugar in urine
  • Fruity, sweet, or wine-like odor on breath
  • Increased appetite
  • Sudden weight loss
  • Drowsiness, lethargy
  • Heavy, labored breathing
  • Stupor, unconsciousness
(taken from www.jdrf.org)


Today I remember the heartache and pain of seeing my little girl so sick.  Today she is a healthy strong 6 year old and I am so grateful for that.  Tomorrow we will celebrate...


   

2 comments:

  1. yes i know. that feeling of what they didnt tell me at the time. its frightening, but we are so so grateful we got another go at it with our baby son. with some insulin for life support, hes going great. it couldve been a whole other story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very touching post. Those diagnosis pics are hard to look at arent they? So much emotion involved. Here is to a much healthier, happier Julia one year later and for many years to come.

    ReplyDelete